Paying attention to the spiritual, theological, and devotional life - in the ordinary events of eve

Paying attention to the spiritual, theological, and devotional life - in the ordinary events of eve

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Also from the USA a few years ago...

A Christmas Reflection. I am seeing Christmas through different eyes these days. Upon reflection, this is probably due to the combination of several factors. The words of the Bee Gee’s song, ‘First of May’, “When I was small and Christmas trees were tall” no doubt plays its part. This, plus the hard knocks of loss and life tend to take away some of the glitter and glamour of the season. There is a persistent nagging too that so much of how we celebrate Christ’s birth is far removed from the actual event itself, and its meaning. Probably the biggest factor though, for me personally, is the extreme contrast of culture and economy I have experienced living the last five years in the wealthier western world compared to the not so wealthy African world I come from. This is difficult to articulate for I have loved my experience here in Mississippi, and am grateful for everything I have learnt, received and grown through living here. So this is definitely not a critique of western economy and culture. I easily relate to it, and it is an integral part of who I am. Yet I find myself seeing the Christmas story (and identifying my faith and life) through African eyes and economy. I find that less is more. The mystery, power and blessing of the season lie hidden more in our need for God than in our abundance and plenty. The spirit of Christmas lies in lowly Mary’s words, and barren Elizabeth’s heart, “the Mighty One has done great things for me." That this message comes through the lowly and humble, marginalized, discriminated against, and poor, says something in itself. The contrast and inequalities of the two continents have drawn me toward a faith that celebrates the incarnation in a more humble and less materialistic way. It seems much clearer now. And not only in a personal way, in how I celebrate and what I spend, but challenges me also in the socio economic imbalances around the globe. As much as I would like to give a child (poor and lowly) a great Christmas gift, the Christmas message is screaming out for a more fair and equitable economy that really fixes the problem. The birth of God’s son suggests that the powers of this world are not the powers that matter most, that God brings down the exalted and elevates the lowly. As Mary said, “He has stretched out his mighty arm and scattered the proud with all their plans. He has brought down mighty kings from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away with empty hands.” Still today the hungry remain hungry, and the rich spend billions on themselves. The Christmas season is a long, long way away from Mary’s song, maybe even unrecognizable, actually. I don’t think Mary’s sentiments are out of reach though, for the message is lodged in our hearts already, through our personal suffering, tragedy, loss and pain. We know what she knew - it is true for us too! I can say, just like Mary said, “the Mighty One has done great things for me." The stretch needed to take it a step further and have a voice into the injustices and suffering out there is not that far. Sacrificial, yes, controversial, maybe, unpopular, probably, but not out of our hands! The small shift we make in our thinking and practices go a lot further than we think. Eleanor Roosevelt summed it all up in these oft quoted words “It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it. And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment